Draft Blog Post

As Stryker has said “Medical practitioners and institutions have the social power to determine what is considered sick or healthy, normal or pathological, sane or insane –and thus, often, to transform potentially neutral forms of human difference into unjust and oppressive social hierarchies”(pp. 51-52). We, as more progressive era of humans, have already started to blur the lines that separate humans into specific categories based on how we were biologically put together, in terms of sex, race, and body and how we present ourselves to the world after having experienced our version of life; while questioning, who gave the majority the power to enforce what is biologically right or wrong with human nature. We, as forward thinking people need to focus on “Dismantling a system that recklessly sorts all of us into biologically based categories of embodied personhood deemed more or less worthy of life” (Xii, Prologue). We tend to take on science as a fact without taking into account that scientists are humans with their own biases and perceptions which leak into the “impartial” data they are trying to convey to the public. However, science is not safe from the political nor how this “unprejudiced” data shapes our society and continues to be passed down through generations unquestioned. As Stryker has said, “Society tends to be organized in ways either that deliberately or unintentionally favor the majority, and ignorance or misinformation about a less common way of being in the world can perpetuate harmful stereotypes and mischaracterizations” (p. 7). Even if it were possible to create a study that would include every human difference, be it biological, cultural, sexual, etc., there is still a group of scientists driven by their own thoughts or agendas deciding how they want to interpret the data and present it. If in some possible way we could have completely unbiased results of studies or tests, how that neutral data would be presented to the public would still be leaning to appease the majority or risk being rejected, ignored, or tossed to the wayside regardless of factuality. My point being that medical science biases can make or break movements that lean toward inclusivity, to quote Stryker once more, “Medical science has always been a two-edged sword—its representatives’ willingness to intervene has gone hand in hand with their power to define and judge” (p. 52). In a society that profits off of exclusivity, it is necessary to break away from the social or cultural conforms, while focusing on pushing for the equity of all human nature rather than the equivalence of “lower” or “lesser” lives in terms of worth, be it class, race, sexuality, or gender also known as the minority being boosted up to the privileges of the “higher” or “better” or those more worthy of life, also known as the majority. Just as there are multiple perceptions, religions, and interpretations of the world we live in, there is also no way to measure which viewpoint is right or wrong or should be enforced or disregarded. As Stryker has said and which I agree with, “Because most people have great difficulty recognizing the humanity of another person if they cannot recognize that person’s gender, encounters with gender-changing or gender-challenging people can sometimes feel for others like an encounter with a monstrous and frightening unhumanness. That gut level reaction can manifest as panic, disgust, contempt, hatred, or outrage, which may then translate into physical or emotional violence–up to and including murder—being directed against the person who is perceived as not-quite human” (p. 8). I am not saying we should completely snub scientific fact, as we as a people crave recognition and understanding of the world around us, what I am saying is to use the information for inclusivity of all people, rather than to label, demean, or exclude any group or groups of people based on genetics, biology, psychology, or different ways we present our person. There is a historical pattern where science has been used to berate, disregard, or choose who is worthy of having the better quality of life, when we all begin with life and we all end with death and there should not be a need to categorize life, but learn about it and accept each other no matter the difference of person. Our goal moving forward should be to acquire acceptance of all through knowledge, be it scientific or experience based, and not to use this newfound knowledge for means of exclusion, politics, social agendas, the suppression or eradication of a people.

5 thoughts on “Draft Blog Post

1. Yara Alhusari (She/her)

Really felt that this gave me a new perspective on encouragement we get to “listen to science.” We tend to forget that scientists themselves are humans, and naturally, humans have biases, even though it is completely against their job to have biases, we can’t trust that they actually do that

2. Karen Zheng (she/her)

I really like your use of quotes; they really strengthen your argument in that science and scientists are not exempt from politics and prejudices. That they are prone to biases just like the rest of us. Being a “scientist” shouldn’t automatically give someone this all-powerful status to decide what is normal and to categorized us according to those standards.
    I would suggest incorporating more interpretations and fewer quotations so the full-on quotations don’t break your train of thought. Paraphrasing some quotes would be good.

3. Sadaf Chaudhry (she/her)

A great choice of topic and perfect use of Stryker’s reading. Although I would prefer that you used less quotes and paraphrase more because that would leave more room for your point of view but I really like the way you incorporated the quotes within your reading. Also, as mentioned in the group, it would be better if you break the whole essay in two to three paragraphs to give it more life. Overall, I am very fond of your style of writing and your choice of words because it really caught my eye.

4. Laneice Garner (She/Her) Post author

-Put the title of the book I’m sourcing.
    -Make a title
    -Elaborate on the quotes, and explain how relevant, or simplify
    -Try to make the quotations flow or paragraph
    – Break it up into paragraphs.
    -Expand on my own personal POV and shorten quotes