Assignments

This semester, all of your writing will be public in one form or another, in the form of in-class writing, public blog posts, public comments on your classmates’ blog posts, and a final group public writing project.

NEW: collaboratively written final project rubric

Brooklyn College WGST Collaboratively Written Final Group Project Rubric

NEW: assignment descriptions! Check them out below.

Brooklyn College WGST Writing Assignments

Blog posts on our public site & comments on classmates’ posts — 30% (due Oct 12, Oct 26, Nov 16); you write once and comment twice)

Draft posts are due a week before the final version is due (so, for example, Oct 5 for the first draft and Oct 12 for the final). Submit your draft in our class group and your final post on the site. The dates you don’t write a post, you’ll comment on your classmates’ posts.

Hypothesis annotations on our class group — 20% (ongoing)

You’ll annotate every reading that is available in PDF or on a website. (They’re all linked on our course site.) Don’t forget to create an account with Hypothesis and stay logged in to comment.

We’ll do them in class; using Hypothesis is new to me and maybe new to you, so we’ll learn it together!

A student guide to using Hypothes.is

Annotation Tips for Students

Final group public writing research project and presentation — 20% (project due Dec. 20, presentations the last three sessions of class)

The project should be presented on a public website (ours!). Throughout the semester, you’ll update the class on where your group is, and I’ve provided signposts in the syllabus.

The presentation is just for our class, on Zoom. (Students sometimes say they hate group projects, but we’ll talk throughout the semester about how to make them invigorating and fun. I promise you it is possible.)

We will co-develop the rubric (list of categories/things to achieve to get an A, B, etc) together in class, in connection with our public writing learning and discussions.

Final personal reflection — 20% (due Dec. 20)

This is a 3-5 page [750-1,000 words] personal reflection on your general learning in the course, your experience of learning and doing public writing in the blog post, and what you think you brought to the group research project. You don’t have to have a thesis statement like in a formal paper, but you will need to engage thoroughly and reflectively with the three items listed in order to get full credit.

We can decide together if you’d like these to be public posts or just for me.

Attendance and participation — 20%

I define participation as any of the following: making comments and questions in class, attending office hours several times, emailing me questions and comments.

Camera off is fine, but you should still be talking and/or adding comments and questions in the chat at least once every other class. (We are a big group!)